Monday, January 1, 2007

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies















I think these were the favorite in the Christmas cookie medley I distributed. Maybe because they taste very similar to the ever popular Girl Scouts Thin Mints cookies, without the chocolate coating. I added an extra teaspoon of peppermint extract to the original recipe and used crushed Andes mints instead of regular chocolate chips. I love the mint chocolate combination, and I didn't want a weak mint taste. The only drawback was that the peppermint taste seeped into the other cookies that were in the cookie assortment. Next time, I'll give them their own container since they don't share space well with others.


Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
adapted from allrecipes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed Andes mints

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla andpeppermint extracts. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the crushed Andes. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes.

5 comments:

crystal said...

yum, those cookies were delicious! 2 thumbs up!

Unknown said...

Oh my, everything on your page, looks delish!!

tim said...

i have tried these... they are scrumptious!

B said...

I tried these cookies - and yum! :) Thanks for the recipes! I definitely plan to try more!

Hope everything is going well for you! How's DC and your area of the world?

Unknown said...

my favorite!