Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chocolate Spritz Cookies













Matcha cookies on the left, chocolate spritz cookies on the right. I made these to bring to work - I'd been telling everyone how much I love baking ever since my interview, but had yet to bring anything in. I didn't want to be such a tease, so I whipped these up the other night. I love my cookie press, but at the same time they always take longer than I expect. If only I had 10 more arms.. and 5 more cookie presses..

Chocolate Spritz Cookies
slightly adapted from Wilton

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars at medium high speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
6. Add flour mixture gradually and beat well.
7. Pack the cookie dough into a cookie press according to the manufacturer's instructions.
8. Fit with the desired-shaped cookie plate and press cookie onto cool ungreased cookie sheets, spacing the cookies 1 inch apart.
9. Bake about 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and let cool.

4 comments:

auschick said...

your cookies always look so beautiful!

crystal said...

mmm looks delish! where are my cookies?!?!! you're still being a tease... jerk.

Jennifer Hamel said...

I'm doing my annual Christmas cookie baking day tomorrow. . .I think I'll give the chocolate ones a try!

BTW, do you have a sugar cookie recipe that you love? I've never quite found the one that's just the right amount of sweetness & softness.

I'm trying one out tomorrow, from allrecipes. We'll see how this one goes. :)

talida said...

jennifer - the best sugar cookie recipe I've found so far was on the back of a Giant Eagle (local Pennsylvania grocery store) sugar bag! unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere :( Besides highly rated recipes from allrecipes, I also tend to trust recipes from Cook's Illustrated, so here are two I've found online: http://community.cookinglight.com/archive/index.php?t-108127.html
http://www.bigoven.com/162655-Brown-Sugar-Cookies---Cooks-Illustrated-recipe.html

Good luck with the cookie baking!