Monday, May 5, 2008

Matcha (White) Chocolate Chip Cookies







































My parents were in town this past weekend, and the second they stepped into our apartment, my mom said quickly, "more green cookies??" Because of our matcha cookie overload in March, she thought I would be sick of matcha cookies, but really, how could I be? Plus, this was a completely different recipe. To start out Matcha Month, I chose to put a matcha spin on Martha Stewart's soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie. And though I personally prefer the combination of matcha with regular (or even dark) chocolate, I know some prefer matching it with white chocolate, so I took care of both preferences.

Matcha (White) Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon matcha
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups semisweet or white chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, matcha, and baking soda; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
3. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

4 comments:

tim said...

i just got more from the counter :)

Unknown said...

yumm!!! i want some!

Anonymous said...

i don't really like chocolate (milk or dark) chips, but i do like white chocolate. These cookies were a perfect combo for me. Thanks for the treats, and thanks to your sunday school kids who didn't show up. :)

Lauren said...

Ok these are rigt up my alley. I'm addicted to matcha myself.. these cookies are perfect looking! I'll have to whip some up for my more adventurous family members. Thank you for sharing!!