Friday, June 20, 2008

Cinnamon Apple Muffins
























I almost didn't make these muffins. Last night I came home a little later than expected, but it was all worth it because I got to have some much needed girl time. I went with my sister-in-law and friends to a champagne tasting and filled up on all sorts of bubbly and caviar. I knocked out when I got home and woke up two hours later with a headache. But I'm visiting my old roommate in DC this weekend and wanted to bring breakfast for our early morning crabbing trip tomorrow, so I had to bake. Fortunately I got through the recipe just fine - I almost lost track of how much flour I put in, but somehow figured it out. Baking takes concentration and precision, things a little bubbly can take away from you. Well the muffins are made (and they're not bad), and I'm looking forward to even more fun this weekend.

Cinnamon Apple Muffins
adapted from Cook's Illustrated

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup apple filling, recipe below

Directions:
1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 375F degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, beating well after addition. Beat in one-half of dry ingredients. Beat in one-third of sour cream. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with sour cream.
3. Fold apple filling into the batter, mix until incorporated
4. Spray mini muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray or coat lightly with butter. Scoop batter evenly among cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.

Apple Filling
from Sherry Yard's The Secret of Baking

Ingredients:
2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
1. Toss all ingredients except butter in a large bowl.
2. Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat until slightly nutty in color, about 6 - 8 minutes.
3. Add the apple mixture and saute until apples are softened and caramelized, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

3 comments:

crystal said...

YES!!! i have uber excited about these muffins!!!

andrew said...

A common side effect of excitement is the abandonment of proper grammar rules!

tim said...

don't bickering about grammar, pleases?