Monday, July 27, 2009

Peppermint Dark Chocolate Milan Cookies






















I've definitely eaten my share of store-bought cookies as a kid. I ate them all day, in school lunches to afternoon snacks, and even for breakfast. Yes, breakfast. My mom was the type to give me birthday cake and Rice Krispies Treats for breakfast, because, you know, they're just pastries. I've changed my habits since then, but I still don't see the difference between having birthday cake for breakfast versus having multiple jelly-filled chocolate-glazed doughnuts for breakfast.

Back then, my favorite breakfast cookie was the Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookie. I was psyched to see that this month's Daring Bakers' Challenge was to recreate this classic cookie! The recipe called for a lighter orange flavored chocolate filling, but I mixed things up with a peppermint dark chocolate filling. The recipe was so easy, resulting in a cookie so decadent. Try having them for breakfast next time. It's okay, because Mom says so.
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
Peppermint Milan Cookies
adapted from Food Network

Ingredients:
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

For the cookie filling:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Directions:
1. In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar.
2. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Add the flour and mix until just well mixed.
4. With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
6. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.
7. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add peppermint extract and blend well.
8. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
9. Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top.
10. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.

5 comments:

lisa said...

haha! "Because Mom says so." I love it. Those were some of my favorite too--excited to try for myself!

Linda said...

I am SO trying this. Chocolate & mint is one of my favorite flavor combos. How many cookies does this make?

tim said...

mmmmmm :)

Neens said...

aww really love your stories with your posts :) my mom used to make fried rice for breakfast. there's egg in it! haha

talida said...

@Lindisms This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies when shaped to be the same size as the Pepperidge Farm variety. I made them tiny sized, so I squeezed out twice that many!