Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Taro Rice Flour Balls in Coconut Milk (Bua Loi Phueak)





























Happy New Year! We're already five days into the new year, but I'm still going to say "Happy New Year" since this is my first post in 2010.

This little blog has been around for three years now, and this year I resolve to give it a little more attention than in years past. From now on, you may see posts without recipes (gasp! - I'm still getting used to this), posts that deal more with entertaining and hosting food parties, and more recipes that explore my Thai and Chinese heritage. This has always been a self-expression project of mine, so I'm excited for the new things to come for this blog.

While I spent the holidays in Houston with my family, I spent some quality time with my mom in the kitchen. She wanted to make a Thai dessert for us, so I jumped at the chance to help her. She gave direction to make taro balls out of mashed taro and glutinous rice flour, and I followed. The dessert we made is actually a mix of bua loi pheuak (taro rice flour balls in coconut cream) and pheuak kaeng buat (taro in coconut milk), but I will simplify and call it by the rice flour ball name. I plan on making this again on one of those cold, cold nights to come. And I'm sure we'll be having plenty of those this winter.


Taro Rice Flour Balls in Coconut Milk (Bua Loi Pheuak)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups taro, steamed and mashed
1/2 cup taro, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups glutinous rice flour
4 cups coconut milk
1 cup palm sugar (regular sugar will substitute fine)
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Either by hand or using the dough hook on an electric stand mixer, knead the rice flour with the mashed taro to form a soft dough, for about 5 minutes.
2. Use your hands to form small balls out of the taro dough, making them approximately 1/2 inch in diameter.
3. In a saucepan, heat coconut milk on medium-high. Once the coconut milk boils, add in sugar and salt.
4. Turn down the heat and add taro pieces to coconut milk and boil for 5-7 minutes or until taro is cooked, stirring continuously.
5. Gently add in taro balls to coconut milk and stir occasionally. Once the balls float atop the coconut milk, they are done. Serve warm.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

yay! hosting and food party posts! I think I will enjoy those

melissahon said...

nice! i love recipes passed down from moms!

talida said...

@Cheryl - Yep, you definitely will :)
@melissahon - Moms, grandmas, aunts, I want to keep taking notes from all my relatives!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Liz Shim said...

whoa, yeah how did you know? haha that's funny. I dont know them myself, but got the order through a friend of a friend. hope you are well!

k.nantawan said...

Hello from Thailand!!

I just started baking since the end of last year. I always search for some baking recipes especially easy and cute cupcake and cookies. I follow "matcha cupcake" until I found your blog. I'll try the filled matcha cupcakes this weekend and blog them in my blogs (http://www.impressmoment.blogspot.com/ and http://www.chic-ideas.blogspot.com/). I'm so glad when I saw two Thai recipes in your blog. I like to eating them so much. I'd like to introduce you another Thai delicious and cute sweet, Gleeb Lamduan, shortbread cookies. The English recipe is here, http://www.shesimmers.com/2009/04/kleeb-lamduan-thai-shortbread-cookies.html. I hope you'll like their taste and scent of Thai aromatic candle.

Cheers.

talida said...

@k.nantawan - Thank you for your comment! And I'm glad you stumbled upon my blog through searching for matcha cupcakes! Please let me know how they turn out.

And yes, I already read She Simmers, and I love all the candle flavored sweets!