Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Texas Independence Day! Round Up Texas BBQ

While Texas Independence Day is the celebration of the adoption of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836, I tend to treat it like Texas Pride Day. Sure, it's been ten years since I've lived in Texas, but I hold the state near and dear to my heart.













Quite literally, since I wear this awesome pendant on a regular basis.

I didn't get to bake anything to celebrate the day, so instead I want to highlight a recent experience that gave me the warm fuzzies.

The story starts last fall with a scenic train ride up the beautiful Hudson Valley. (No pictures, sorry!) It's Saturday morning, and I find myself on Main Street in Beacon, NY. As soon as I see the store window to home and crafts store Clay Wood & Cotton, I know I'm in for it. I go in and gush over the store, and only after I pick up every handmade piece in the store do I start to chat with store owners Kristy and Kristen. I find out Kristy and I share Houston as a hometown, and she recommends visiting a Texas BBQ joint down in Cold Spring. I can't that day, but I say I'll check it out in the future.

The future didn't come until two weekends ago. I'm back upstate, and Round Up Texas BBQ is the last stop of the day's (secret) mission. We swing open the door, and Linda, Bill, and Round Up's Texan decor greet us. My Texan accent senses the surroundings and feels safe enough to come out. I mention the recommendation from Clay Wood & Cotton, and Linda shares her BBQ adventures. She's proud of her story, and we're eager to taste her hard work. We sample everything they had that day, and I leave as a happy camper.








































Brisket should always be that moist.
Photos taken by Albert Cheung.













































They have their sausage made by a local culinary institute, but it tastes like it could be Texas-made.













































Clockwise from the top left: Potato Salad, Green Stuff, Cole Slaw, Mac & Cheese (Linda's own recipe with 4 cheeses, 4 pastas, and jalapeƱos)













































Their BBQ chicken doesn't steal the show, but it's still tasty and juicy.

On this day, why don't you raise a cold Lone Star or Shiner Bock with me, and let's give it up for Texas!

Round Up Texas BBQ and Tumbleweed Saloon
2471 Route 9
Cold Spring, NY 10516

Also check out Metromix Hudson Valley for a detailed slide show feature on Round Up Texas BBQ.

2 comments:

Yoshi said...

One day I'll be homesick enough to take a trip up here. The BBQ looks amazing!

mumbi said...

Those sausages are cooked to perfection! As much as I enjoyed eating sausages I found that the toppings like ketchup and mustard were both smooth and creamy in texture, making the experience somewhat predictable. Until recently when bought Onion Crunch a new condiment, perfect for sausages, that is crunchy and crispy! It allows me to have some variation in the texture of my toppings. I love it! If you're interested: www.onioncrunch.com